Holiday ornaments with Smoothfoam and The Robin's Nest

paper christmas ornaments lisa fulmer
Today the Designer Crafts Connection is having some fun with Christmas in July, using Smoothfoam shapes along with holiday papers and Dew Drops from The Robin's Nest.

I made two paper ornaments, inspired by another designer's tutorial that I found online. For the round one, I punched several 2-1/2" circles to score and glue together. I rimmed the edges with a gold pen and glued red diamond Dew Drops along the edges. I glued a loop of wired trim inside the center for hanging.



For the teardrop, I trimmed out the shapes, then punched dragonflies in the centers. After scoring and folding each teardrop, I alternated the two sides of paper when gluing. I pushed a skewer through a 1" Smoothfoam ball to convert it into a bead, painted it gold and glued clear diamond Dew Drops around it.

After threading a folded length of wire down the center of the ornament (leaving the folded end at the top as a loop for hanging), I added the Smoothfoam bead to the bottom piece of wire, coiled the ends to secure, tied a ribbon at the top and added a hook.
smoothfoam bead paper christmas ornament

I don't usually put up a Christmas tree anymore, but I do like to display a few of my favorite ornaments on the coffee table at holiday time. A decorated Smoothfoam cube with a shepherd's hook (made from flat floral wire) inserted off-center is a perfect ornament holder. Glue a few pennies or washers to the bottom to weight the cube after painting it. I added a couple fleur de lys diecuts from red glitter cardstock.

painted smoothfoam cube fleur de lys

GIVEAWAY! To enter to win, just leave a comment on any blog(s) in the hop. The prize is a lovely selection of products from The Robin's Nest and Smoothfoam, valued at $85.00 (available to ship within the US only). Visit the DCC blog to hop through everyone's links and good luck! Deadline to enter is July 28th.

smoothfoam robins nest christmas blog hop