Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Kumihimo Christmas ornament with Dazzle-it!

I'm totally addicted to Kumihimo, a Japanese braiding technique. I especially like how it looks with a thick cord. So when my friend Carmi asked me to be part of a blog hop using Dazzle-it! faux suede cords and tassles, I knew exactly what I wanted to make.

Kumihimo is super easy to learn - this is the first time I used it to make a Christmas wreath ornament, as opposed to a necklace or bracelet. It takes 16 feet of cord to make this 7 inch piece - the braid is a little more than 1/2" in diameter.

After braiding the cord, I tied off the ends and tied them together to form the loop. I slipped some thick gold wire into the knot, threaded a couple of beads on to it, then bent a small loop at the bottom so it nested inside the knot and bent the top into a large hook. I colored the silver tassel head green with alcohol ink, put it on an eye pin, poked it through the knot and bent a loop on the back to secure. I trimmed the tassel ends just a wee bit so it hangs nicely inside the wreath. 

Lastly I tied a ribbon around the wire and glued on a large button to hide the knot. The ends of all the cords coming out of the knot are wired together in a bunch, pushed to the back and trimmed short so they aren't visible from the front.

Click here to visit the Dazzle-it! blog and check out their Facebook page. Happy holidays!

10 comments:

  1. Love doing that stitch for bracelets and necklaces your ornament shows so much creativity :) Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much - MCHNY to you too!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful piece, Lisa! Kumihimo is on my list to learn for this years Bead and Button Show. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
    -Suzann Sladcik Wilson

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool ornament! I have never tried kumihumo but it looks really great. Enjoy the day. Erin

    ReplyDelete
  4. love this ornament. Your design is beautiful and craftmanship is outstanding,....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comment!

      Delete
  5. Beautiful ornament L3! I love how you used the Kumihumo which makes it very unique. I also fell in love with it last year :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much - it's fun!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting my blog - I look forward to visiting yours, too!

related posts

Related Posts Plug-in