Monday, June 06, 2011

shoe forms


seriously? shoe forms? yes, i have a suitcase full of old wooden shoe forms, all shapes and sizes.

many years ago in san francisco, i had lovely roommates named kim and nathalie who decided to move to france. we had a garage sale to help them lighten their transatlantic load, and i couldn't resist buying kim's collection of shoe forms. i don't recall exactly how or when she started to collect them, but she kept them in this round suitcase. i have been schlepping this suitcase of shoe forms around with me to my many different domains in the 15-20 years since.


so fast forward to last month, when my a-muse-ing friend candace posted a creative prompt about shoes. i went out to the garage and dug out the suitcase to see what i might do with one of the shoe forms. i really like them in their natural state, and some are probably considered antiques...but i found one that was super plain and a bit marred, so i decided to paint it with black gesso (click the pic to zoom in). i had this cool egyptian pharoah patch (i've always been inspired by ancient masks and other cultural icons) which fit the curve of the toe perfectly, so i used a gold leafing pen to doodle some lines on it....makes me think of the bangles song, walk like an egyptian.

i have always thought it would be so cool to hang the shoe forms all together on a wall, displayed in a big grid.  hmmmm...

21 comments:

  1. Very cool. But I agree, the natural wood is beautiful too. I think they'd make a great wall display. Try it and post some pictures for us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love those wacky shoe forms..love the natural wood but also like the african one you have made. are you going to make yourself some felted slippers then? I would hang them up or have them in the corner in a wicker basket

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous!!!! Besides an interesting subject, this photo is beautiful and fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent idea to give a new life to shoe horns, bit of a Frankenstein reincarnation thing happening, I think it works as a piece of art/sculpture in it's own right & don't think I would have guessed it's previous use if you hadn't told me... well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazing art piece it turned into! Highly creative. Love the Egyptian theme!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow have never seen this before, its amazing, love it. Happy PPF and have a great weekend, Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Walk like an Egyptian?! Lol! Great name...what a funky cool piece of art :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. they would make an awesome wall display!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is extremely cool. I would have to have the round suitcase out on display as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love collections, this is interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so cool! I've seen these in antique stores here and they keep calling to me. LOVE what you've done with yours! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love old shoe forms. My pawpaw owned a shoe shop (before my time) so my parents have some of his. I like them natural but they are yours so I don't see why you shouldn't paint some of them if you want, whether they are antique or not. This one turned out great! You definitely should get them out of the suitcase and display them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. How original! great way of making art. Greetings.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an incredibly original and creative idea! Great - Would love to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The photograph is artistic and the shoe art is very unique. Glad you shared it with us. HAPPY PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ha! Walk like an Egyptian is perfect... so creative :)

    xo
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are excellent! There could be a resurgence of cool shoe forms again! I haven't seen them since I was a kid!

    Hug Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely and creative! I love the lines and the Egypt aura in your painting :)

    cheers,
    Elisa
    http://harmonythoughts.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great idea! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. funny...i have a collection of shoe forms..mine don't have the metal in them...just all wood...love 'em...collected most of them in Maine...maybe the muse will hit me..lol

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting my blog - I look forward to visiting yours, too!

related posts

Related Posts Plug-in