Our favorite craft tools - Designer Crafts Connection blog hop

how to make a paper tassel with fringe scissors

I have more favorite craft tools and supplies than I can count, so I just decided to close my eyes and pick one! Fringe scissors are popular in the craft stores now, but I got mine old-school style from a mail-order catalog. Shredding scissors have been around forever for destroying old checks and receipts. Now they are so fun for making paper tassels!




fringe scissors shredding scissors

A long time ago I nabbed this cool catalog (Japanese or Chinese?) from a free book pile at the library. It's printed on really pretty laid-finish paper. Each page was folded, so when I slice a page out, I get a nice 17" long sheet.

To make a paper tassel, just fold over the top 2" of a long, strip of paper that's about 6-8" wide. Make cuts with the fringe scissors along the unfolded side. Roll up the strip tightly and tape the folded edge to secure and boom, you have a tassel. Glue a ribbon loop to the top for hanging, then wrap a strip of contrasting paper around it. Embellish as desired...so easy and so cute! Use your tassel instead of a bow on a gift, hang it on your curtain tie-backs, dangle it from a lamp switch, towel rod or doorknob.

Click on the Designer Crafts Connection logo in my sidebar to hop to the next designer's blog to see what favorite craft tools and supplies they're working with - enjoy!