Pom-poms & tassels with the Pattiewack tools

pom-pom-pattiewack-lisa-fulmer
It's the first Monday of the month - time for some blog-hoppin' with the Designer Crafts Connection! This month our theme is "ideas that blew me away." You know, because March is windy and all?

Of course making pom-poms and tassels are time-honored crafts, but I really was blown away by how easy and fun it is to make them with these tools from Pattiewack Designs.

Pattie is now making and selling her pom-pom and tassel tools under her own name, and she sent me a set to try. I used some variegated yarn to make this 3" pom-pom and then I attached a 4" tassel. I didn't make it too full or trim it too evenly on purpose, I really like how all the different colors look together when it's a bit scraggly.


The pom-pom tool (left) comes in two sizes; with both tools you can make pom-poms from 1/2" up to 5" wide. With the tassel tools (right), you can make tassels from 1-1/2" up to 7" long.
pattiewack-pom-pom-tassel-tools-lisalizalou

These tools can be purchased on the Pattiewack site. I've been playing with string, twine, yarn and ribbon - the tools definitely make the process quick and easy and I've made some super cute pom-poms and tassels!

I only had a wee bit of trouble trying to make a wee bittie 1/2" pom-pom with string. I think I wound too much string around the tool and I couldn't quite tie the anchor string tight enough. So I'm going to try again with a little less winding and I'll use some wire to twist around the middle instead.

And for a super cool bonus, this close-up shot of my variegated yarn pom-pom is fantastic color and texture inspiration for my next mixed media painting!

lisa-fulmer-yarn-mixed-media-inspiration

To visit the other Designer Crafts Connection blogs, click one of the hop buttons in the DCC logo on my sidebar. Look for this same logo in each blog's sidebar to move yourself along. Enjoy!