Christmas tree wallhanging with metal charms


The good folks at Prima Beads sent me a lovely selection of beads and metal charms that I've been creating with this week. My last bit of pre-holiday cheer (before I switch over to Halloween mode) is this Christmas tree wallhanging.

And don't forget to enter to win your own selection of holiday beads and charms - tomorrow is the last day - click here for the post with the entry widget!

I started with a 6"x12" sheet of Smoothfoam and painted it with textural stucco paint blended with green ink.

Then I dry-brushed some darker green paint on top, and added some clear glitter paint for a final coat to give it more dimension.

I bent pieces of wire into a leaf shape with one longer end which I bent down so each leaf could be poked into the foam. I wanted the tree to be a bit lumpy and full-looking, like a real tree would look (in an abstract way)...not a perfect triangle.

In order to keep some of the charms from sliding away from the leaf points, I glued a small silver bead near the point as a stopper.

To make the tree-topping star, I slid beads on to long head pins, bent the bottom ends down and pushed them into the foam.

I thought this was a fun, mixed media way to display a variety of metal charms from Prima's 'Tis the Season line!