I'm thrilled to be part of the 3rd Annual Handmade Holidays blog hop!
The complete list of participating blogs is at the bottom of this post - along with a chance to win an awesome prize package filled with crafty swag.
A bevy of crafty designers have come together to share all kinds of fabulous ideas for handmade holiday gifts—there's sure to be something here for everyone on your list.
I decided to make a treasure box with a fun and funky key ring inside. I used Smoothfoam balls so the key ring will float - nice gift idea for those who love sailing or fishing. I love altering boxes and making the box part of the gift, too.
Unfinished wood box with inset panels (mine is 6" x 3" x 3")
Prima Bead suede cord - orange, purple, blue
Gray craft paint
Americana Triple Thick Gloss Glaze
Clear Gel Tacky Glue
2 Smoothfoam 1-1/2" balls
3 large-hole beads
Short straight pins
1. Paint the box inside and out - use a smaller brush to carefully paint around the latch and hinges; allow to dry.
2. Glue suede cords around the bottom of the box, starting and ending at one of the back corners. Repeat around the top of the box, starting and ending at the front latch. Glue four pieces of suede cord to frame the panel on the lid.
3. Trim scrapbook paper into rectangles to fit inside the inset panels of the box and glue into place.
4. Glue two flat accent beads over the edges of the cords on either side of the latch.
5. To make the keychain, poke a skewer straight through each Smoothfoam ball to turn them into beads, then enlarge the hole a bit more by slowly twisting the handle of a small paintbrush through the ball. Paint each ball with two coats and let dry. Brush on a coat of glaze and let dry.
TIP: Use the handle of a paintbrush to hold and spin the ball as you paint and glaze it. Set the brush inside a glass to dry (with the ball still on the end).
6. Put a seed bead on a few straight pins, then push the beaded pins into the center of the balls to accent.
7. Fold a 16" length of suede cord in half and loop it around a keyring as shown.
8. String a large-hole bead on to the cords - leave a little space between this first bead and the keyring so the cord loop can easily slide around the ring as keys are added.
9. String the first Smoothfoam ball (use a long straight pin if needed to push the cord through the ball), a decorative bead, the second Smoothfoam ball, a final bead, then tie the cords into an overhand knot or two. Trim the ends.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Friday, November 1:
Graphic 45 – Rhea Freitag | Clearsnap – Debbie Cole Smoothfoam – Vicki O’Dell | 100 Proof Press – Teresa Abajo Sizzix – Amy Bowerman | ICE Resin – Jo DeSerio Jones
Saturday, November 2:
Graphic 45 – Susan Lui | Sizzix - Lorine Mason Smoothfoam – Lindsay Obermeyer | Donna Salazar Designs – Tracey Sabella
Sunday, November 3: